49 Hindmarsh Square Adelaide
As part of the acquisition of the Royal Automobile Association of South Australia’s property holdings in Hindmarsh Square, Hines Property was responsible for the separation and rejuvenation of the State Heritage Listed YWCA building.
The YWCA building was officially opened on 22 November 1900 by the daughter of Lady Colton. Lady Colton, wife of South Australian Premier John Colton, established the Adelaide Branch of the YWCA and grew the membership to 156 women by the time building was completed in 1900.
The exterior of the building was designed in the Federation Free Classical Style and includes the Lady Colton Hall, which has an elaborately detailed vaulted ceiling with large coves in the classical style.
In 1984 the building was integrated into the neighbouring building to the North at 41 Hindmarsh Square, Adelaide. Changes included removal of much of the Northern external wall.
In 2008, Hines Property successful coordinated and managed the reinstatement of the independence of this historical building simultaneously with undertaking the Conservatory on Hindmarsh Square development to the neighbouring site.